- Building Local Government Capacity to Alleviate Food Deserts | University at Buffalo with support from the United States Department of Agriculture, NIFA/AFRI Food Systems Program 2012 to 2017
- British Columbia Built Environment & Older Adults Policy Scan | University of British Columbia, Centre for HIP Healthy and Mobility, 2013
- Vacant Property Research Initiative | Metropolitan Institute at Virginia Tech with support from the Ford Foundation, 2012-2013
- Sustainability Planning Lab | Metropolitan Institute at Virginia Tech, 2012-2013
- Planning for Food Access | American Planning Association with support from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s Healthy Eating Research*, 2010-2012
- Food Systems Planning: A National Scan & Evaluation of Local Comprehensive & Sustainability Plans in the United States Keynote Presentation | Planning Sustainable Agriculture & Food Systems, Recent Municipal and Provincial Initiative in Alberta, Rocky View County Office, Alberta, November 2012
- Vancouver Food Strategy Review | City of Vancouver, British Columbia, Fall 2012
- Delta Community-Based Farm District Plan | Century Group, Summer and Fall 2012
- Cultivating a Healthy Local Food Economy in Douglas County Workshop | City of Lawrence and Douglas County, Kansas, Fall 2012
- Land Use & Food Access Chapter of the Health Equity Playbook | Prevention Institute, Spring 2012
- Urban Agriculture: It’s Not an Oxymoron. Policies for Cultivating City Land and Increasing Access to Local Food | Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, April 2012
- Urban Agriculture and Food Systems Planning Presentation | Denver Regional Council of Governments, March 2012
- Urban Agriculture and Food Systems Planning Audio/Web Conference | American Planning Association, March 2012
- Vice-Chair, STAR Community Index Technical Advisory Committee on Health | ICLEI Local Governments for Sustainability
- Investing in Healthy, Sustainable Places through Urban Agriculture | Funders Network for Smart Growth and Livable Communities
- Food Policy Councils – Briefing Paper | American Planning Association
- Planning for Public Health | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- National Partnership for Urban Agriculture| U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, The Funders Network for Smart Growth & Livable Communities, Sustainable Agriculture & Food Systems Funders Network,
American Planning Association, American Farmland Trust, MetroAg
- Healthy, Sustainable Food System Partnership and Principles | Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, American Nurses Association, American Public Health Association, American Planning Association with support from the WKKellogg Foundation
- Sustainable Food Systems Roundtable | American Planning Association, CS Mott Group for Sustainable Food Systems at Michigan State University, ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability, International City/County Management Association, Local Government Commission, National Association of Counties, National Association of Development Organizations, National Association of Regional Councils, National League of Cities, United States Conference of Mayors
- Healthy Communities Interest Group | Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Creating Community-Based Brownfields Redevelopment Strategies | US Environmental Protection Agency
- The Role of Arts and Culture in Planning Practice | Rockefeller Foundation
- Urban Agriculture: Growing Healthy Sustainable Places | US Environmental Protection Agency
- Bridging the Gap | American Planning Association
- Complete Streets: Best Practices and Implementation Strategies | Federal Highway Administration, the National Association of Realtors, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota, the Ruth Mott Foundation, and NPLAN
- Planning Healthy Communities Forum | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Healthy Communities Webinar Series | Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- National Planning Conference Food System Guide – Minneapolis | American Planning Association
- National Planning Conference Food System Guide – New Orleans | American Planning Association
- Food Systems Planning for Health & Sustainability Short Course | Urban Affairs & Planning at Virginia Tech
- Compendium of Model Sustainability Practices – Health | City of Alexandria, Virginia
- EcoCity Alexandria | City of Alexandria, Virginia
- New York City Health Disparities Training | FoodChange New York City
- School Wellness Policy | Roanoke County Public Schools
- Roanoke Valley Farm to School Program | Virginia Cooperative Extension
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Healthy Eating Research Annual Meeting, “Planning for Food Access”, February 2012
- Walk21 Symposium, “Comprehensive Planning for Health”, October 2011
Presentations delivered by Kimberley Hodgson as Senior Research Associate and Manager of the Planning and Community Health Research Center at the American Planning Association:
- American Planning Association Healthy Communities Webinar Series, Planning for Food Access and the Regional Food System”, April 2011
- American Planning Association National Planning Conference, “Urban Agriculture: Growing Healthy, Sustainable Communities”, April 2011
- American Planning Association Healthy Communities Webinar Series, “Planning and Implementing the Active Community”, February 2011
- Growing Power Farm Conference, “Planners as Allies In the Community Food Movement: in the Past, in the Present, and Prospects for the Future”, September 2010
- Sustainable Agriculture & Food Systems Funders Forum, “Growing Healthy, Sustainable Food Systems”, June 2010
- Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Brownfields and Land Revitalization, August 2010 “Food Systems 101: Learning to Create Healthier Communities and Local Economies”, August 2010
- The Funders Network for Smart Growth & Livable Communities, “Planning for Urban Agriculture”, March 2010
- New Partners for Smart Growth, “The Next Big Trend—Sustainability and the Food System”, February 2010
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity, State Program Training, “Comprehensive Plans—Improving Community Policies to Support Physical Activity & Healthy Eating”, March 17, 2010
- American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, “Planning for Healthy, Sustainable Food and Water Systems”, November 2009
- American Dietetic Association Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo, “Transforming Food Environments”, October 2009
- Community Food Security Coalition, Urban Agriculture Committee Meeting, “Snapshot of Urban Agriculture & Planning Practice: What are planners doing to promote or support urban agriculture and local food production across North America?”, September 2009
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Weight of the Nation, “Planning for Food Access”, July 2009
- New Partners for Smart Growth, “Food Policy Councils: Catalysts for Integrating Food & Land Use Policy”, February 2009
Presentations delivered by Kimberley Hodgson as Field Faculty and Extension Agent at Virginia Cooperative Extension:
- Virginia Cooperative Extension, Healthy Futures Presentations, “Healthy Choices”, “Heart Disease & Diabetes”, “Fiber”, and “Physical Activity”, July 2006
- Roanoke County Public Schools, School Board Meeting, “School Wellness Policy”, Roanoke, VA, January 2006
- Roanoke County Public Schools Administration & Staff Retreat, “Dietary Guidelines”, Roanoke, VA, January 2006
- Virginia Dietary Managers of Roanoke, “Superfoods”, Roanoke, VA, September 2005
- Roanoke City Rescue Mission Workshop, “What’s in a Tomato?”, Roanoke, VA, September 2005
- FoodChange Continuing Education Conference, “New York City Health & Food Access Disparities”, New York, NY, Summer 2005
PublicationsCompleted by Kimberley Hodgson as Senior Research Associate and Manager of the Planning and Community Health Research Center at the American Planning Association:
- Kimberley Hodgson. Investing in Healthy, Sustainable Places through Urban Agriculture. The Funders’ Network for Smart Growth and Livable Communities, Fall 2011.
- Christina DiLisio and Kimberley Hodgson. Food Policy Councils: Helping local, regional and state governments address food system challenges. American Planning Association, July 2011.
- Kimberley Hodgson and Kelly Ann Beavers. The Role of the Arts and Culture in Planning Practice. American Planning Association, 2011.
- Kelly Ann Beavers and Kimberley Hodgson. Community Engagement: How Arts and Cultural Strategies Enhance Community Engagement and Participation. American Planning Association, 2011.
- Jeff Soule, Kimberley Hodgson, and Kelly Ann Beavers. Community Character: How Arts and Cultural Strategies Create, Reinforce, and Enhance Sense of Place. American Planning Association, 2011.
- Kimberley Hodgson, Marcia Caton Campbell, and Martin Bailkey. Urban Agriculture: Growing Healthy, Sustainable Places. American Planning Association, Planning Advisory Service Report Number 563, January 2011.
- Barbara McCann and Suzanne Rynne, ed. Complete Streets: Best Policy and Implementation Practices. American Planning Association, Planning Advisory Service Report Number 559, April 2010.
- Hodgson, KE and Peemoeller, L. QuickNotes: Food Systems Planning. APA 2010.
- Hodgson, KE. Where Food Planning and Health Intersect: Welcome to the Next Big Trend. Planning 2009; August/September: 8-13.
Completed by Kimberley Hodgson as Field Faculty and Extension Agent at Virginia Cooperative Extension:
- Hodgson, KE. Virginia Cooperative Extension PUBS, May 2009, “Keep You and Your Family Lean with Lean Protein”.
- Hodgson, KE. Virginia Cooperative Extension PUBS, May 2009, “Vegetables: How Much Do I Need?”.
Completed by Kimberley Hodgson as Research Assistant in the Department of Urban Affairs & Planning at Virginia Tech: